<OOC> Makoto Kino discovers the Sailor Senshi ‘gargantuan amounts of friendship world tour’ on Tumblr. Ahahaha.
<OOC> Mamoru Chiba says, “/i know right/???”
<OOC> Mamoru Chiba says, “that thing is AMAZING i love it XD”
<OOC> Mamoru Chiba says, “it makes me want to write a stop XD”
<OOC> Makoto Kino says, “Me too but… Jackson. XD”
<OOC> Makoto Kino says, “there’s really not a hell of a lot to do here and also I’m a homebody.”
<OOC> Mamoru Chiba says, “… my recognisable option is basically newark, nj, so…”
<OOC> Makoto Kino says, “It makes me feel bad for Mako, though. SO MANY PLANE TRIPS.”
<OOC> Makoto Kino says, “SO MANY AIRPORTS.”
<OOC> Mamoru Chiba says, “i can see her putting her foot down and going ‘we are on a continent TRAINS NOW PLEASE’”
<OOC> Makoto Kino says, “It does make me imagine that at some point early in the American leg of the world tour someone has the brilliant idea that I have seen visitors from England have: ‘look we can take a bus, how big could America be?’”
<OOC> Makoto Kino says, “48 hours later: ‘we have made a terrible mistake’.”
<OOC> Mamoru Chiba :D :D :D :D :D
no lie: a nine-hour car trip from NJ to NC took 19 hours on a greyhound.
also, basically the way the tour does newark nj is:
Leaving Manhattan by rental car is okay. It’s not generally okay if you are in the least bit stressed, if there is more than 11 AM or 3 AM traffic, if someone doesn’t want you to get in their lane when you are trying not to miss an exit, if you end up on a toll road by accident, don’t have EZPASS, don’t have change, and there are no cash/receipt lanes open.
1. Minako is sitting shotgun at the moment, and the stressy traffic means Mamoru wants to be driving to something seriously drugged-out by Philip Glass in the early seventies. Minako is not having this. She starts fighting with Mamoru over the MP3 player. They miss their exit and end up wheeling across I-78 through Jersey City, and everyone starts to panic because there are signs for Newark.
2. Usagi, in the back seat, both hungry and needing to go to the bathroom, starts making really unnerving noises of protest, which starts a fight with Rei, who is stressed anyway because the music keeps hopping between Taylor Swift and Philip Glass. Ami starts calling out directions, loudly, because between Minako and Mamoru, Google Maps is totally inaudible. Makoto completely loses her patience and climbs over the seat while the car is in motion in order to physically separate Mamoru and Minako, and then Minako starts laughing her ass off because in the altercation she won the MP3 player.
3. They miss their exit AGAIN in the fracas and wind up tooling down the ramp for I-95, and Usagi’s getting really loud, so an executive decision is made by Rei, who climbs over Ami to grab the steering wheel over Mamoru’s shoulders and yank them out of the lane to the first service area after they get their toll card.
4. Cue forty-five minutes of everyone stalking around the parking lot and steaming and then getting bags of overpriced candy from inside the service area because the food is all chain and all terrible. The only people who actually leave happy instead of just calmed down are Usagi because candy and she switched seats with Makoto, and Minako because omg the kiosk outside was selling the CUTEST SUNGLASSES YOU HAVE NO IDEA.
5. Unfortunately by the time they manage to turn around, they find that every single route around Newark is closed and they have no choice but to drive through it. Then they find out that the only open route through it because everything is under construction is basically a chute surrounded by jersey barriers and everyone else wants to rocket through it. It is a very tense and silent trip down Newark Avenue, and Usagi has finished her candy and Ami’s and Makoto’s, and is eyeing the bag Minako stole from Rei; Mamoru’s chocolate is long since gone.
6. They finally make it to Route 80. They do not actually stop again until they are in Hackettstown.
That is the story of New Jersey. :<